Taiwan people · People in Taiwan  TodayTourism All Destinations | Europe | Asia | North America | Africa | South America | Oceania | Hotels

People in Taiwan


People in Taiwan

Taiwan was originally populated by indigenous tribes that spoke various Austronesian languages, which are related to Malay, Tagalog and Indonesian. Today the remaining tribes make up only about 2% of the population, while the other 98% are considered Chinese. The Chinese are further split into Taiwanese, who make up about 84% of the population and whose culture is derived from people who migrated during the Ming and Qing Dynasties, as well as mainlanders, who make up about 14% of the population and whose families fled to Taiwan from the continent after the communist takeover in China in 1949. Among the Taiwanese group, Hoklo (Minnan) speakers form the majority, which is about 70% of the population while the remaining 14% are largely Hakka speakers. There is also a sizeable Japanese community, with many of its members working in the entertainment industry. The previous Japanese population was largely centered on the East Coast while Taiwan was under Japanese rule left after WWII. It should be noted that the Taiwanese (who make up 84% of the population Taiwans and are culturally Chinese) are to a large extent the descendents of immigrants from the mainland in recent centuries who intermarried with indigenous people. As a result the genetic makeup of the Taiwanese is noticeably different from that of the mainlanders.

The Most Frequently Asked Travel Questions about Taiwan


Where To Stay & Best Hotels in Taiwan - updated Jul 2024

SAVE up to 75% on Last Minute deals! Search for discount Taiwan hotels, motels, apartments, hostels, guest accommodations and vacation resorts. Book now and pay at the hotel. Instant email confirmation!


>>> SEARCH FOR DEALS <<<

WHERE TO TRAVEL NEXT IN 2020


Taiwan Travel Guide from Wikitravel. Many thanks to all Wikitravel contributors. Text is available under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0, images are available under various licenses, see each image for details.

Europe | Asia | North America | Africa | South America | Oceania | All Destinations